Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tiny Talk Tuesday

Like many others, I've got a tiny one in my house and, also like many others, that tiny one is talking. Here's what the tiny ones in my life have been saying.

****

Over dinner, Teenybop told me that her mouth was hurting. I asked where, and she stuffed her hand as far in her mouth as she could and said, "Right here, on my guns."

(And I'll be the first to say that I had no idea a four year old girl could fit that much of her hand in her mouth ... plus the couple of guns that were apparently already in there.)


****

Breaking good news to Teenybop is always a joy for me. She's so full of excitement all the time, so it's just awesome. Lately she's been full of gems, and these are all from the same day earlier this week:


  • After being told we were going to the park, Teenybop asked which one since we have several near us and often go to the different ones for changes of scenery. Well, when we told her which one we were planning, she jumped up and down shouting, "I love that park but I've never been there and it's the same one we went to last week!" (Obviously we have some issues to work out ...)
  • At the park we told her that it was time to go, and that were going to go get slushies at Sonic. And she started dancing around singing. It was funny at first just to watch her, but then I realized what she was singing, "I'm so excited for my life, yeah! I'm so excited for my life, YEAH!" (If only she were always that easy to please ...)
  • In the car on the way to Sonic we talked for some reason about being a rockstar, and Fiance said something about being a rockstar himself. Teenybop immediately shut him down, telling him that he couldn't be a rockstar, and the conversation went like this: Me: "Why can't Daddy be a rockstar?" Teenybop: "Because rockstars have to dance." Me: "Can't your Daddy dance?" Teenybop: "No, because two boys matters to one boy that can't dance." (Right ... okay ...)
  • After Sonic, she's in the backseat singing to herself, and it's a song from tv that's like, "Deep, deep, down, down, deep down in my heart, deep, deep, down, down, deep down in my heart ..." So I said, "What's deep down in your heart?" And she very matter-of-factly replies, "Jesus. Duh."

****

Another time in the car, Teenybop was talking about a missing cat puzzle that she said she'd been looking for for a while. Finally I guess she gave up on finding it because she sat back and crossed her arms, saying, "Well, I guess it just got up and walked out the door."

****

For Christmas, we bought Teenybop one of those really cute "Fur-Real" pets, and it's a really pretty white cat. So the batteries are finally dead in the cat and Teenybop goes with Fiance to the kitchen to retrieve some new ones. As he's putting them in, she asks, "Is that the kind of batteries all the cats run on?" And while he's cracking up he says, "No, just the pretend ones."

(Wouldn't that be nice if every now and then the batteries in your local tabby cat would go dead and you'd get a break from him leaving dead "presents" on your lawn?)

****

Getting ready to leave for church on Sunday morning, Teenybop went to the bathroom door to check and see if Fiance was out of the shower yet. We'd spent much of the morning talking, and by this point, we were officially running late, so she was supposed to tell me if he was out yet so I could go ahead and get my shoes on. Well she comes to me in the kitchen and says, "I didn't hear the raindrops raining anymore, so I guess he's not gonna take forever after all!"

****

And one more though it's not from Teenybop. I was on the phone with my cousin the other night, and she was telling me about her silly son that's Teenybop's age. Apparently, when she's really frustrated with him and the only "nickname" coming to her is idiot, she'll substitute something sweet in instead. Something like ... genius. So the other day he was doing something he shouldn't have been, and it was a bad day, so she says to him, "Knock it off before you fall, genius." And he says, "I'm not a genius, mom. Geniuses live in bottles."