Monday, April 12, 2010

A Soldier's Daughter

Teenybop drew a picture at school today. It has her and her daddy standing on some grass with a clear blue sky behind them. And above the picture?

"I will mis my dad wen he is gon. He is going to be in the rmy for four weeks. I am going to look pretty wen I pick up my dad. He duz a lot of thengs for me."

This is a direct quote from the top of her picture. When she read it to me in the car I had a hard time keeping my reaction in check. But sitting here tonight, I cry because she is having a hard time dealing with Private Ryan leaving. She is afraid that he is leaving her, that he won't came back. She is afraid he will die. She is afraid he will forget her. But he is her hero and she loves him in the whole-hearted innocent way that only a six-year-old can. She understands a little of why he is going, and she is looking forward to when he comes back. While she is scared of the changes, she is excited about the possibilities.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it will be quite a bit longer than four weeks. It will be almost four months.