Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Interviewing Teenybop

I have read a couple of things online lately where mothers "interview" their kids every so often to see what the answers will be. Some moms do it monthly, some do it yearly, some just do it whenever they want to. I like the idea and I love that we will be able to look back together over the years and see what the answers were and how they change over time. I'm not sure how often I will do this ... Anyway, here's Teenybop's first "interview".

What five things do you like best about yourself? -- "Um ... I can put make-up on, I can ... color. I can type in my blog, and ... that ... I ... have a notebook. That I can write in. And that I have a mommy."
If you could change three things about yourself, what would you change, and why? -- "I would change my hair Ariel's red hair, and I wouldn't have to brush it. If I could be a dancer, and a illustrator."
What is your greatest accomplishment? -- "My best friend Chauna, and my baby sister."

When do you feel very proud of yourself? -- "When I'm being good."
What would you like to be when you grow up? -- "A dancer, and a teacher ... for a kindergarten class."
What is your favorite thing to do? -- "Go to school. And the therapist."
What is your favorite memory? -- "When I got my bunny."
What is your favorite movie? -- "The Princess and the Frog."
What is your favorite food? -- "Macaroni and Cheese!"
What do you like best about school?
-- "That I get to see my friends and my teachers."

Where do babies come from? -- "In momma's bellies."
What would you do with $100? -- "Spend it and get the cake bakery."
What kind of person does a person need to be in order to be a good friend to others? -- "A nice person. And not being mean to other friends."
What is something Mommy always says to you? -- "I love you."
What makes Mommy happy? -- "When I behave!"
What makes Mommy sad? -- "When I don't behave."
How does Mommy make you laugh? -- "By saying something funny."
What do you think Mommy was like as a little girl? -- "Good. You helped your dad."
How old is Mommy? -- "Um ... I don't know."
How tall is Mommy? -- "Can you stand up for a second?" I told her no. "Okay ... Thirteen inches long."
What is Mommy's favorite thing to do? -- "Stay home and rest."
What does Mommy do when you're not there? -- "Clean the house."
What is Mommy good at? -- "I think you're good at cooking, but not when the rice is juicy."
What is Mommy not good at? -- "Doing hockey."
What is Mommy's favorite food? -- "Favorite food? Pickles. Is that right? And tomatoes. Pickles and tomatoes."
What makes you proud of your Mommy? -- "When we make macaroni and cheese. Oh, and when we play."
What kinds of things do you and Mommy do together? -- "We walk around the park together, we ... hmm. We talk together. We go to school together ... well, we don't go together, but you drive me."
How are you and Mommy the same? -- "We both like macaroni and cheese. And we both have brown hair, except mine's a little brighter than yours. Oh, and we both have ear rings! There's a lot of things the same about us, and we both have necklaces."
How are you and Mommy different? -- "You have green eyes, I have blue eyes. You have a tongue-ring. And you have freckles but I don't have as much as you do."
Where is Mommy's favorite place to go? -- "Am I gonna guess this right? Because I think your favorite place to go is your mom's house. Am I right about that, because I know you like to go there and get out of the house sometimes. So ..."
How do you know Mommy loves you? -- "Because you tell me. And because you cut slack and let me do some stuff. You show that you love me, like when you give me a toy for being good. Oh, and teaching me how to put make-up on!"


So there you have it, straight from Teenybop, the child who is at once exhilarating and energetic. She is beautiful as she grows and becomes herself beyond the fact that she is my daughter. She is is interesting, talkative, imaginative, and special. She may be challenging, but she is mine, and I am grateful in the calm for all that she has taught me in the storms.