Monday, August 31, 2009

Kindergarten Mommy

Today was the first real day of Kindergarten, and with so much going on in my life these days I have had to take a break from reading in order to keep up with my daughters, church, and family.

But, now that I officially have a little kindergarten daughter ... I am not sure I like it at all. My "little" Teenybop is not so little anymore. With her Focalin dosage upped to 10mg, she is much more able to focus on things, more able to listen to direction, more able to entertain herself quietly when required. She is back to being the little girl I remembered, but more able to behave like the big girl she is becoming. Don't get me wrong, we still have our ADHD days ... but I feel like I have my sweet angel back. And now I can turn my focus back to building her up, guiding her, loving her and enjoying her again in the simplest mother-daughter ways.

I love taking her to school, seeing her pride in herself, her excitement in this stage of her life. I love picking her up from school, hearing her tiny little voice recount the events of the day. I even like homework time, where she tries hard (lately) to make me proud of her gifts and her effort.

I love only having to say things once now that Teenybop is able to focus enough to hear me, love being able to read to her and have her actually pay attention to the story. Love it that now she can slow down long enough for a hug and a snuggle.

Even if now she is independent enough that I don't even get sweet good-byes in the morning at school ...