Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I am a mother. I am a mother simply because my body has experienced pregnancy. I am mother simply because I have waddled and been swollen, I have vomited and suffered heartburn in order to carry two pregnancies almost to term. I am a mother because although I miscarried my first child ... that child existed. I am a mother because two children were birthed live and mostly healthy from my body.

But "Mommy" ... I am Mommy because I love my children. I am Mommy because I am there for them in the best ways that I know how to be. I am Mommy because when they are sick, I am there to kiss them and brush the hair back from their foreheads. I am Mommy because when they are hurt, I kiss their boo-boo's and give them love before I send them on their way. I am Mommy because when they wake in the night, I run to them and soothe them back into peaceful slumber. I am Mommy because I kept them, because I cherish them (most days), and because I love them even when the going gets tough. I am Mommy because I have never given up on them.

On this Mother's Day, I don't want to be loved and enjoyed simply because I gave birth to two children. I want to be loved and enjoyed because I have been more than their Mother. I have been their Mommy, and they both trust in me to always be there, running the show and fixing the problems. And on this Mother's Day? Celebrate your own Mother, not because she is your Mother but because at some point, even if only for a little while, she was a Mommy too.